Sunday, September 16, 2007

Touched By One of God's Children

Today I was greatly touched by one of God's children. Her name is Sarah and I met her at the flea market June took me to this afternoon after a wonderful church service. Sarah was selling these gorgeous skirts from Malayisa and I just feel in love with them and she had a lot of fun making me model all the different skirts in her little shop. haha. anyways, it was fun. I think she put four of them on me : ) As I finally decided which one I wanted I went to take out my money and sadly, I found out that I was short 30 Rand (that is about 5 dollars canadian.. but alot for being Rands) This skirt was 160 Rand and I only had 130 Rand. Before I went to pay her we had gotten into conversation and I told her I was doing mission work in Dundee and she said "Oh you are doing God's work?" and I found out that she as well , was a believer and she was very happy to hear that I was here in SA all the way from Canada. So back to the moment of when I was going to pay for this skirt... I looked through my wallet inside and out trying to find more money but that's all I had. Then Sarah told me, "I will let you take it for 130 Rand and I will pay the extra 30 Rand. Because you are a missionary for the Lord I want to do this for you. " I was soo humbled and didn't know what to say but thank you and God bless you! Then she told me " This is what happens when you do the Lords work. He blesses you." I just stood there for a second and thought about those words. Wow, such a blessing I tell you. Her words so true.
God has been blessing me richly here so far with my time in South Africa and it's only been less than a week.
For those of you who dont know.. and I think that is pretty much all of you because I forgot to mention it, but anyways, I don't have to take the bus to Dundee anymore : ) Lynn, a lady who works at Melusi is here in Durban for the weekend because she had to bring a child to the hospital here and so tomorrow she will be taking me back to Dundee! What a huge blessing!
I'm sooo excited about getting to Dundee finally and meeting the team there and seeing DIONE again!! She phoned me the second day I was here to welcome me to South Africa. haha she is too cute. I love her. It was so nice to hear her voice being here in a foreign country.

I am soo blessed to have Dione here with me while I'm here. God is just so great. I have some one I can trust and talk with and share my frustations and uncertainites and questions with and she will understand where I'm coming from. And I know that Dione will listen to me and help me in the best way that she can and I'm ever so grateful for her and her friendship. Plus she is super deadly and a ton of fun so we are gonna have so many great times together. I'm really looking forward to it all. And thanks so much Dione for all the help you have been to me soo far and for your encouragement. You are a huge and wonderful blessing to me. Love ya

Oh ya, and I had my first cup of African coffee. My oh my its delicious! Very nice taste and I'm going to be drinking alot more of it for sure! And it was only about
1$ for a cup : )

As well, today was my first time participating in an African church worship service. It was very different than any Western church I have been to. Even though there were probably only about 75 people in the church when they sang it sounded like 200-300 people! Everyone sang so loud and energetic and with passion. And we sang for about 45 minutes. The pastor was very good and very passionate and loud and spoke a very sound message. And there were many many Amens! being said through out the whole service and message. I did feel out of place there,(because of their style of worshuip) but at the same time very not out of place.. like absolutely no one was in that church was being judging or not really wanting to be there but that everyone there was there because they were passionate and deeply in love with Jesus. It was definitely a challenge to me and the way I worship, and just a challenge to be more free in the way I would like to worship God.

Well today the city will be without power from 6 - 7. Some electricty problems here...i guess they always have this and sometimes they tell the public but other times not. haha some times it's longer than just an hour. Good thing I brought my flashlight : )

That's all for now. Later, Lindsay

2 comments:

Hilary said...

One dollar for a excellent cup of coffee!!! Do they have starbucks there? I bet they sell it expensive there.

That is a beautiful story about the little girl and her skirts. hopefully you will see her again. It's also a good reminder of how we who love and serve the Lord should be generous to others, giving out of the little or lot that we have, to bring joy to others. She gave to you in the name of Jesus, may she be blessed according to what is written in God's word.

I worked out at the gym this morning at 6-7am. what time is that for you? I'll be doing that everyday now that Marty works early days.

Keep the pictures coming!

Jo said...

Hey Lindsay! I got your blog from Tiff. Wow, it sounds like God is truly blessing you over there. So many amazing things already! You're in my prayers, and Dione too.