Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Hi guys!! So here i am in Africa! Wow, its such an incredible feeling saying that, or actually it's an incredible feeling BEING here! God is soo wonderful. He is soo good :)

So ya i'm super out of it right now.. i think I ve got about 8 hours of sleep in the last 2 -3 days.. so ya, Im quite disorientated and "slow" right now, haha. But i'm doing great still. Its just super amazing i'm here. Hopefully what I write will make sense. I'm not feeling all that focused right now. I'm so tired that it constantly feels like the ground is moving back and forth and so i feel dizzy lots. that is bad i know.. it's not a very good sign.. but it's really hard to sleep on the plane and at the airports. I got a few hours in at least.

But yes my flights were great. Very good service. I didn't get too lost in all the different airports and I got good seats both the long flights. Aisle seats. So that was a blessing. And the people I sat with were nice too. The first couple, the lady, wanted to support me and she wanted WECs address to mail the money! It was soo encouraging! A stranger wanting to give money! God provides in the most uncommon ways. It is so neat. She was really nice to talk with.

Then the next lady I met on the next flight started up a school for girls in Kenya and did work there for 12 years, if i remember that correctly. So ya! It was neat who God placed on my trip.


Oh I wanted to show you guys my first picture I took in Africa. It is my first African sunrise I get to see : ) It was this morning on the plane. On my 11 hour flight. It was incredible waking up to such a sight and realizing where I was, flying all the way across Africa.

Um.. Oh I can tell you guys about my first African experience here. hahah oh boy, it's quite funny actually. I think anyways. So I got off the plane from London into Johannesburg. I wasn't too sure where to go and I had two hours to get on my next flight. I knew I had to grab my luggage and go through customs again and so I had to find all that stuff.. that took a while.. and then when I finally got my luggage, my next thing to do was get my plane ticket and re-drop off my luggage. So, I started looking when very soon a man came up to me wearing this very bright orange coverall and offered to take my luggage and asked where I needed to go and what to do. So, I told him and he showed me where to go and it was about a good 10-15 minutes and I was soo thankful for him cause it was a bit confusing and i probably would have missed my flight. So after he was done and had brought me to the right line up he said, "So a tip for me please." And I was like, oh.. um, (I didn't think I was going to have to pay him! Cause he was dressed in uniform..so i thought it was his job) So I was like. Oh ya and he asked me for a 20$ US tip. I was thinking, wow that is a large tip! But I didn't know for sure how things worked there so I wasn't sure if I had to pay him or not and if not paying him was the wrong thing to do. So.. I looked around and all I had was 10 pounds. So I gave it to him. The whole time after that and till I got to Durban I was thinking wow i think i got totally ripped off. And of course, when I told the leader here about that he was like "What!? Wow! That was like Christman to him!" hahah oh boy, It's funny cause the leaders say that they would only give 2-5 Rand and I gave 100 Rand! haha so I can see how that was Christmas for him! I just looked like this big white rich girl. haha oh boy.. So ya, I thought that was pretty funny. Here I am trying to look like I'm not a "tourist" and this has to happen to me!

So ya, then the leaders here at WEC South Africa picked me up at the Durban Airport. They are soo nice. There names are Ann and Jeremy and they have two kids, 7 year old son and an 11 year old daughter. They are great.

But ya, I think that is good for right now. I ll definitely let you guys know more :)

Later!

4 comments:

Girl_In_Saskatoon said...

HEy buddy glad that you made it there in one. Know that you are loved and that so many people are praying for you. Be Blessed and encouraged. Love ya.

Randy said...

Hi Lindsay,
Glad to hear your trip went well. Isn't God awesome! We just had to laugh when you said the lady sitting next to you wanted to support your ministry amoung children. WOW soo cool :>)
Then the way you so kindly helped some poor porter with his rent :>) Lindsay you are sooo nice!! Ha.
I'm not proud of this story but if it helps you get over your episode at the airport it's worth it. Your airport story reminded me of the time I made some little poor begger boy in India a very happy camper. In India the money reminded me of monopoly money. We always got small bills and they are all for the most part very different in color..... except the 1000 rupee note it was almost the same color as the 1 rupee note only much bigger. I got so use to the colors that I wouldn't even look at the note. I just knew the colors. One day at the Taj Mahal this little boy came up to me and was begging for a rupee. I was so amazed at all the marble constuction that I just wanted to get rid of the boy as I knew he wouldn't stop grabbing onto my shirt until I gave him something, so I reach into my pocket and pulled out a note that was all folded up small and gave it to the boy. Well you know the rest of the story. Oh those rich Canadians!!

Jenny said...

Well you now know that you can travel around the world by yourself and write an amazing story on very little sleep. Good on ya. Hope your enjoying your days with Ann and Jeremey and can't wait to hear more.

Love you. Love you. Love you

Unknown said...

Lindsay that picture of the sunset is so so beautiful!!!! Wow! I love it so much!