Tuesday, October 9, 2007

My First Random Blog Posting

This is just a random blog of mine.. I just want you guys to know little random things that are different here..
lets see..
I'll start with how people say they want to go to the bathroom. You don't say washroom or bathroom because they will think you are going to take a bath. You must say "I am going to the toilet." It's really weird to say.. I still don't say toilet.. it sounds improper coming from our culture! To me its still "washroom" : ) They understand me now.
And in many public places you need to pay to use to 'toilet'. It is one Rand which is like 16 cents or something like that.
There taps here are seperate.. one hot water tap and one cold water tap. And many homes have a seperate room for the toilet and a seperate room for the sink and bathtub.
When you go into stores you can't take bags in. You need to put them in cubbies and get a number and than fetch it when you are done in the store. Oh ya, and they say fetch instead of get or pickup.. Like if someone is talking about getting someone they say "Ya, Im going to go and fetch Lindsay." Sounds like I'm a dog or something.. haha. it's funny
They call stop lights robots. I love that. Robots. And they are on the sides of the roads.. not in the middle hanging above.
They drive on the other side of the road. WOw that is weird for me.. it's getting a little better but I 'm so scared to learn to drive here cause it is very confusing to think everything opposite of what you know and have been use to for so long.
Lots of street vendors selling random things. And really sweet china shops. With really nice clothes and shoes and whatnot. I love shopping in them.
Oh ya, they have no heating or insulation in their buildings so when its cold out, it's cold everywhere! Hence the reason I had on three bunnyhugs (oh they call sweaters jershies) and my big feather vest this morning. Its' cold today : (
We have security gates that need to be locked at night.. plus our normal doors.
Oh! You can't put your feet up on chairs or couches. Some people here really do not like that and sometimes I will catch myself doing it and I will put them down soo fast! I'm jsut so use to it I don't think about it. It's really hard cause back home it's so normal to do that.
In the townships, children make their own toy cars out of wires. It is so cute to see but sad as well. Kids play soccer with flat soccer balls.
Today it has been raining most of the morning and it rained all through the night and it's cold and today as Dione was driving me to the creche we say a lady walking, looking very cold, with no shoes on. Just seeing that little picture made me very thankful to God for all He has given me and it really humbled me cause I was complaining earlier that it was raining and I was cold.. and here is this poor lady, having it so much worse them me. Actually I don't even have it bad one bit. I have shoes, I have a place to stay where rain does not pour in. I have food to fill my stomache, whenever I want! Let alone three times a day. I have a change of dry clothes when mine get wet. I have electricty. I have a shower to get clean. I have it soo good. And yet here I am, finding myself again and again, complaining about little things. I don't have a right to.
Something else here, here at the mission and with the church people, they hug everyone to say hello. It's very welcoming. When I first got here, people I just met hugging me and making me feel like a part of them. Everytime they see each other they hug. Even if they just saw them the day before. Very cool
So ya, that is all I can think of right now. I know that there are many other things. when they come to mind I will let you know.

No comments: