Saturday, October 13, 2007

Little Blessings in Africa

Tomorrow I get to experience my very first braai. Braais are a big deal in South Africa and people have them all the time. It is similar to a barbeque but here they make a big deal about it and it is just a time to hang out with a lot of friends/family and enjoy some great food. I'm pretty excited about it. Dione has been waiting for me to have my first braai and so tomorrow its finally happening : )

Oh! And yesterday was my very first time playing soccer with the African kids. Wow they are soo good! Man do they ever have great ball-handling skills and techique. It was very fun to play with them. It was very hot but it was so much fun. And I have been playing soccer with the boys here, the three of us kicking around the ball and playing one-on-one soccer and it is soo great. Such a blessing to just be able to kick around a ball and get my heart rate up. I really miss playing soccer, but this is a great blessing. As well, Marysa and I have been power-walking in the mornings from 6:30 - 7 ish. It is really nice waking up early and getting some exercise in before the day begins. Very refreshing and makes me feel good.

The hospital visit this week was so great and so much fun. Dione, Pieter and I went and we had a great time walking there. We, or I guess I should say Pieter, took 161 pictures in just two hours! Ha so fun. And the kids were just so much fun at the hospital and this one little boy was soo adorable. Right as the kids saw us coming this little boy came running towards us and hugged my legs. It is such a precious moment. Oh he is soo CUTE! They are all very cute!
I just love how we can be a light to there day and bring a smile to there face and a laugh in there heart : ) These poor children. I feel so bad they have to stay in a hospital and not run and play like other children. But I guess they will not be there forever, but still, it's sad to see them that way.











Pieter and Dione just being goofy


This is not an unfamilar site. Barbwire and spikes all fences on every property.


This is one of the signs just outside the hospital. Pretty crazy hey? But here it is a necessary sign I guess.



Here are some of the cute children at the hospital. The little boy not looking is the one who ran up to me and gave me a hug : )







The one of the left is the same little boy and this little boy on the right is just soo tiny for the age that he looks. So sad but he is oh so cute.

The kids absolutely love playing with the balloons we bring. Usually we bring them sweeties (little candies) as well too, but the mama that we usually buy from was not there that day.

If you notice here, the boy in the bed has his whole core of his body bandaged up. Poor guy, this is probably from a very severe burn he had.

This guy haha, wow made my day even better! As we were walking back from the hospital he noticed us taking random pictures and all of a sudden he was down on the middle of the road telling me "Take a picture of me!" haha and he was so serious and so I did because it was too funny. Then he said "Put it on the internet for me k?" haha so this is for him.

No comments: