Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My First Stop...for a couple of weeks...

Hi everyone! So I've offically (and finally : ) ) started my way on my adventure to Africa! I got into Hamiliton yesterday at 3:30 and Heather and Randy Barnes (a couple who works with the WEC candidates) were the first people I met, before very many! They picked me up at the airport and when I got to the headquaters house I was introduced to many of the staff and other candidates/missionaries. They are all so very nice and welcoming and fun. There are 7 other candidates taking the course with me... or rather I should say, I am taking the course with them...becuase they are all going to be here for 4 months and i'm only here for 2 weeks. I'm the only short-termer. But there is a guy here from Venasula, a family from Korea (who were actually just in South Africa for a year and so they were telling me all about it down there...now that I'm freaked out about attacking baboons and whatnot! haha, no, its all good.), and a couple from El Salvador, I believe, and a family from Guelph, ON. They are all really great.

All of us (including some staff) live in the same house. It's a beautiful 1921 house. I just love it! And it's soo nice here too! The weather is really sunny, clear blue sky and in the 20's for sure. Right now I'm staying in a room by myself. I've got my own phone and internet access right in my room which is nice.

Before I left I had another going away get to together at home with my family and friends. It was a really great night and soo awesome cause Car came back home that weekend too! She stayed over that night and we stayed up late watching "Take the Lead" and visiting with Mike and Charlotte. It was just soo fun to hang out with all my relatives again and with some of my friends as well. We had lots of food and played a few rounds of foosball and pingpong and ltos of laughs. Thanks all you guys for coming!

On Sunday I said goodbye to everyone after church. That was a really great Sunday. The Mexico team shared with us about their experiences and it was just really encouraging and fun. Lots of laughing during that church service : ) I will miss all you guys! Thanks so much for supporting me in prayer.

Then Mom, Aaron and Tiff drove down to S'toon. Got there around 4 and just hung out ate some pizza and watched "Crash". I got to hang out with Ang again for a short while. It was still great and we had some good pizza : ) I miss you so much girl! I also got to talk with Hil and Jenny on the phone that night too.

Then came yesterday morning... a very early morning... woke up at 4:45... at the airport about 5:30ish and then off into the air at 6:20. It's really wierd but I haven't been too nervous about this trip at all... just excited.. I suppose yes, there are those little fears and uncertainties, but nothing too huge. It's been an answer to pray for sure. Saying goodbye to my family was hard to do but not overbearingly. That was also a huge answer to prayer! I will miss you guys soo much!

Well, I was gonna write more.. but supper is early today so I better head down there...
Talk to you soon!

No comments: